Sunday 29 June 2008

creme egg #4

Note: please read previous parts (#1, #2, #3) first!


From: Jane Potts [***@csplc.com]
To: chris***@***.com
Date: 12/12/2006 15:57

Subject: Re: How do you MISPRONOUNCE yours?



Thank you very much for your further email. The brand manager for Creme Egg has kindly provided the following response:

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for your email, you raise a very interesting question! We've looked into it, and unfortunately we haven't been able to uncover an answer as to why its spelt French and pronounced English. At this stage in the game, with Cadbury Creme Egg celebrating it's 83rd birthday this year, it's too late to change it, and I'm not sure we'll ever have a full resolution!

If I was to give my personal thoughts:

---
I've done some further digging on the subject of "creme" vs. "cream", and stumbled upon this handy resource:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/creme

...which appears to suggest that "creme" may be pronounced:

[krem, kreem; Fr. krem]

The middle of which would be the one chosen for Cadbury Creme Egg, if I am correct in thinking? Unless I am completely missing out the vital matter of the accent above the first "e", which "Cadbury Creme Egg" does not contain but may have an absolutely invaluable role to play in this conundrum. If so, then this leaves me completely stumped!

---

On the matter of the Amazin Raisin bar - unfortunately at this stage I know of no plans to resurrect the bar. In the mean time, I'd invite you to try some of our brand new Dairy Milk Melts, which (although they don't contain any fruit per se) are scrumptuous. Available from all good shops now.

I hope this gives you our perspective on the matter for you, and that you have a truly Merry Christmas.

Many thanks,
Ross

P.S. - Please pass on my regards to Pickles and your genuine living French colleague.

No comments: